Multinational oil & gas company engages over 180K customers in a week via SMS location-based advertising
The long-awaited moment has finally arrived. For Indonesians, mudik is a tradition where people embark on a journey to reunite and celebrate the holy month of Ramadan together with their loved ones. Some travel great distances by plane, while others embark on long road trips by car, bus, or even motorcycle. The newly constructed Trans-Java toll road provides an enticing option for those seeking to travel across Java to reach their destination.
For one multinational oil and gas company, this presented a golden opportunity to connect with potential customers. With gas stations strategically located at rest stops along the route, the company aimed to attract travellers with enticing promotions and superior service. However, the challenge lies in reaching out to these travellers who were already en route to their destinations.
1. SMS blast
To target potential customers on the go during the mudik season, our client decided to go with a straightforward and effective strategy – an SMS blast.
*Sample image only
2. Utilising Location-Based Advertising (LBA)
To maximise the impact of our marketing efforts, we used GPS technology. LBA allowed our client to send SMS messages to people within a certain radius of their gas station locations at 12 rest areas along the Trans-Jawa toll road in real-time.
1. Crafting a compelling and actionable message
ADA helped craft an engaging and enticing message, with a link that directs customers to the company's website where they could view more Ramadan promotions and offers.
2. Reaching out for more
To collect valuable insights and optimise this approach, we suggested sending the SMS in proportional time lengths to determine the days that experience the highest traffic volume.
- Reached over 180,000 potential customers in just one week.
- Click-through rate exceeded 8% and the conversion rate hovered around 0.3%, despite the requirement of refilling at least 25 litres of gas to qualify for the promotion.
- The high engagement and enthusiastic response rates prompted our client to partner with us again at other gas station locations later that same year.